Saturday, September 25, 2010

Vegan Blueberry Muffins with Struesel Topping

I found this recipe on the TheDailyGreen website. These are totally awesome – not too heavy, and the cake not too sweet. Of course, I had to fiddle around with the recipe. I used white whole wheat flour, cut the sugar by 1/4 cup and added some vanilla extract. And it was so good! I don't normally bake with Ener-G Egg Replacer but the recipe called for it and so I used it. It was fine. (For some reason I was afraid it would leave a "funny" taste.) I also have to note that with the crumb topping it was a bit too sweet for me. I'll probably leave it off next time and maybe add a couple tablespoons of the sugar back in. The original recipe says 12 servings but I only got 10. Four Stars.

For the original recipe go to TheDailyGreen website:
http://www.thedailygreen.com/healthy-eating/cookbook/3378

INGREDIENTS
1- 1/2 cups white whole wheat flour
1/2 cup sugar
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/3 cup vegetable oil
1 tsp vanilla
-----
1 Ener-G Egg Replacer
1/3 cup soy milk
3/4 cup blueberries

Crumb Topping:
1/4 cup sugar
2 TB white whole wheat flour
2 TB vgan margarine
3/4 teaspoons cinnamon

PREPARATION
Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F. Grease 10-12 muffin cups.

Combine flour, sugar, salt, and baking powder.

Make the Ener-G egg.

Pour the vegetable oil into a 1 cup measuring cup, then add the egg and enough soymilk to fill the measuring cup, and then vanilla. Add to dry ingredients and mix well.

Fold in blueberries, then place the batter into the greased muffin tin.

Crumb topping: Mix ingredients until any large lumps are worked out. Sprinkle topping over muffin batter before baking.

Bake about 25 minutes, until the topping and the tops of the muffins are golden.

No comments:

Post a Comment