Wednesday, September 22, 2010

Rainbow Chard Quiche

I've always loved quiche. This one comes pretty close to the "egg" type but without the eggs. You could substitute the vegetables too. Four stars.

Ingredients:

1 pound extra-firm tofu, drained
-----
1 large bunch rainbow chard
1/4 cup chopped onions
1-2 garlic cloves, minced
-----
½ tsp garlic powder
½ tsp turmeric
½ tsp salt
¼ tsp red pepper flakes
¼ cup nutritional yeast
¼ cup cornstarch
2 tsp Dijon mustard
1 tbsp lemon juice

Directions:
Preheat oven to 350 F. Grease a shallow 9" pie dish and set aside.

For the greens: Cut off bottom 1 inch or so of stems and discard. De-vein each leaf and finely dice the stems and veins. Keep separate from rest of leaves. Chop the rest of the leaves. Saute the stems, veins, onions, and garlic until wilted. Add rest of leaves and saute until wilted. Set aside.

Crumble tofu into bowl with your hands. Add spices, nutritional yeast, cornstarch, mustard, and lemon. Mix well and add cooked chard. Mix in chard and transfer to baking dish. Bake 30-40 minutes, until golden and the center is not still mushy. Allow to cool at least 10 minutes before slicing.

2 comments:

  1. I hope you don't mind if I ask stupid questions - I'm trying to understand the mechanics of vegan cooking. Eggs are a thickener, so is cornstarch, so I guess the cornstarch is what makes this quiche set up, is that right? Is the turmeric mostly to give it the yellow color or does it also add a bunch of flavor? Also, I've never cooked with nutritional yeast - what does it do? Is it just for, well, nutrition? Or something else? OK, I know I sound stupid, but I'm actually interested in the answers! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm sorry, I just noticed your post! I'm not an expert but I believe that the cornstarch helps to set it up along with the tofu. The turmeric does help to give it a yellow color and I don't think it really adds any taste. The nutritional yeast adds a "cheesey" taste (or so some folks think). And there's no such thing as a stupid question!

    ReplyDelete