Wednesday, November 17, 2010

Creamy Asparagus Over Toast


Luscious vegetables taking over the frig - what to do, what to do? I had a bag of mushrooms and a container of fresh asparagus that needed cooking. I found a recipe well suited in "The 30 Minute Vegan" by Mark Reinfeld and Jennifer Murray. All the recipes I've made from their book I've enjoyed. I would love to take one of their cooking courses; some are for 3 days, some for a week, all of the recipes look absolutely delicious. In the meantime, I have a couple of their cookbooks. I loved chipped beef on toast when I was a child, I think mainly because of the cream on the toast - I loved the way the toast got soggy. It never was about the meat. This is a pretty tasty dish and I had some sourdough bread in the freezer that I toasted. Very delicious. Perhaps next time, I'll puree fewer veggies so it'll be chunkier.

Ingredients
2 TB olive oil
1/2 onion, chopped
1 fresh garlic clove, minced
8 ounces fresh mushrooms, sliced
1 tsp dried thyme
1 tsp black pepper
1/2 tsp salt (or to taste)
1/2 tsp celery seeds
1-1/2 lb. asparagus, cut into 1-2 inch pieces
1/4 cup water
1/3 cup spelt flour
2 cups rice milk
-----
toasted bread
parsley for garnish

Directions
Saute the onion in the oil for several minutes. Add the garlic, mushrooms and spices and saute until the onins are translucent, stirring frequently. Add the asparagus and water, cover and cook for about 4 minutes. Take off lid and cook off any extra liquid. Add flour and cook for a couple of minutes until browned.

Add rice milk to blender or food processor. Add cooked vegetables, reserving some for garnish or to add a bit of chunkiness to sauce. Blend till smooth. Add back to saucepan with reserved veggies and heat. Toast bread and top with saucy vegetables.

No comments:

Post a Comment