Sunday, August 15, 2010

Homemade Veggie Burger


I make at least one new veggie burger a month. I really hate to buy commercial ones and I'm looking for that "perfect burger" – tasty and holds together when you cook it. My last foray was unsuccessful since it didn't hold together when I baked it. The recipe said to fry in a pan and I just could bear to do that, baked it, and was sorry, sorry, sorry!

This version is fried in a skillet and after last week, I didn't even attempt to bake it; just went ahead and fried it. And it was GOOD! This recipe originated from the book Vegan Comfort Food. Four stars, quite tasty! It would have been five stars except for the fact I had to fry it, instead of bake it. Makes four patties. Serve with Hacienda Home-Fried Veggies (see last blog).

Ingredients
3/4 cup vegetable stock
1 tsp liquid smoke
1 cup textured vegetable protein (TVP)
-----
1 tsp vegan worcestershire sauce
2 TB chopped red onions
1/4 cup chopped green peppers
1 garlic clove minced
1/4 diced crimini mushrooms, stems removed
-----
2 TB catsup
2 TB vital wheat gluten
1/4 tsp salt
1/8 tsp pepper

Toppings
Bun or pita
Guacamole, sliced tomato, dill pickes, sprouts, spinach, whatever turns you on!

Directions
Bring the stock and liquid smoke to a boil and add TVP and let sit for 5 minutes. Add to food processor with worcestershire sauce and diced vegetables and pulse until combined. Add rest of ingredients and mix with your hands until well combined.

Heat oil in pan, and fry until browned, flip and brown other side. Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment