Sunday, August 15, 2010

Hacienda Home-Fried Veggies


My book addiction hit full force this past weekend and I added two more books to my collection. This recipe was inspired by a recipe in the book Vegan Bites – Recipes for Singles. What I love about this book is the smaller quantities. With other recipes, I cut the quantities in half and there's still too much food for leftovers and freezing. I'm looking forward to trying out more recipes in this book.

I don't know about you, but I get into a rut when I have a burger. This was a nice change from the usual baked fries. Such a burst of flavor with all of the fresh, organic veggies. I think the leftovers would be wonderful in a warm tortilla with some baked tofu cubes... Five stars, I'm making this again - freakin' awesome!

Ingredients
1 large garnet yam, peeled, quartered, and cut into 1/8-inch slices
2 tsp olive oil
-----
1/2 cup diced red onion
1 clove garlic, minced
1/2 cup red bell pepper, diced
1/2 cup green bell pepper, diced
1 medium jalapeno, seeded, and diced
-----
1 cup diced zucchini
1 ear of fresh corn (sliced off the cob!) OR 1/2 cup frozen corn
1 tsp chili powder
1/2 tsp ground cumin
1/2 tsp salt
freshly ground pepper
-----
2 TB white wine
-----
fresh lime juice

Directions
I like to chop all the vegetables before I begin the saute. Heat oil in pan and saute yam for about 5 minutes. Add onion, garlic, and peppers and saute for about 5 more minutes. Add zucchini, corn, and spices for cook for 2-3 minutes. Add wine and deglaze pan. Take off heat and drizzle with fresh lime juice, to taste.

No comments:

Post a Comment