Friday, April 2, 2010

Perfect Pizza & Pitas

I've spent my whole adult life trying to make really good pizza crust. Finally, I've cracked the code and I can thank the book Healthy Bread in Five Minutes a Day by Hertzberg and Francois. They are not lying when they say 5 minutes a day either. This bread dough is so easy, so fast, and so versatile it has changed my life. The plan: you mix the dough (NO KNEADING!), let it rise for a couple of hours and then it goes into its home in the refrigerator for when YOU are ready to bake. The only time you have to wait is if you want to make a loaf of bread or something like that. Then you need to shape and let rise for a couple of hours. For pizza and pita bread you heat up the oven, roll out your dough and bake it on a pizza tile. That's it. The beauty is you can leave the dough in your refrigerator for a couple of weeks, using up bits and pieces as you go. And the pizza and pitas I have been baking have been wonderful.


Here's a batch of pitas I made today. It's the 10-grain bread recipe that I modified to 8-grain. Incidentally, it made an awesome pizza crust!


These good folks have a website healthybreadinfive.com if you are interested in learning more. Personally, I think it's worth the money to buy the book – I'm that impressed.

No comments:

Post a Comment