Friday, April 2, 2010

Happy Birthday to Me!


I never pass up an opportunity to make a chocolate cake and I figure my birthday is a damn good reason! This cake is from The Joy of Vegan Baking by Colleen Patrick-Goudreau. I don't have this book listed as a favorite (yet) because I haven't made any recipes from it until today. I've been such a cookbook slut and this is just one of many books I'm cooking from.

This cake turned out very tasty especially with the deviations from the recipe. I cut the sugar by a third and added 1/4 teaspoon of cayenne.

The frosting is the "Rich Chocolate Ganache Topping" from Vegan Cupcakes Take Over the World. A perfect match. Mmmmm mmmm!

Later I remembered that I had a Mexican Chocolate Cake recipe that had been handed around at work. I looked it up and was surprised to see that it was already vegan. I've made this particular cake several times and loved it. I actually think it's a bit better than the chocolate cake from The Joy of Vegan Baking. Here's the recipe for the one that's been floating around:

Mexican Chocolate Cake
Ingredients
1 1/2 cups all purpose flour
3/4 cup sugar
1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa
2 teaspoons cinnamon
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon cayenne powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 cup cold water
1/4 cup canola oil
1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
1 tablespoon vanilla extract

chocolate glaze
1 cup powdered sugar
1/2 cup cocoa
6 tablespoons water

Directions
Heat oven to 350 degrees. Lightly oil 8-inch spring form pan. Sift all dry ingredients together. Add liquid ingredients and stir until smooth. Bake 25 to 30 minutes (until toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean). Cool in the pan on a wire rack for 10 minutes. Remove from pan and cool completely. When the cake has cooled whisk together the glaze ingredients and glaze cake.

Both icings are good; it's just a matter of preference.

1 comment:

  1. Yo Spud! I tried to send you a forwarded email but it was rejected. Do you have a new email address? It was about Ace -- they're trying to get people to send Sallie birthday wishes for Ace now, because he's probably not going to make it until the 26th...

    Mark

    ReplyDelete