Saturday, April 17, 2010

Aloo Paratha (Potato and Pea-Stuffed Flatbread)

This is another recipe from "Healthy Bread in Five Minutes a Day." I made the Aloo Paratha with the cracked wheat bread recipe. These bread recipes are the ones where you make a large batch of dough (NO KNEADING REQUIRED) and you can leave it in the fridge for a couple of weeks. It's ready when YOU are. This particular batch of dough was rather "wet" compared to the others I've made; I figured maybe because of the cracked wheat? Anyway, when I rolled the dough out I had to add quite a bit of extra flour to manipulate it into a workable round. I added the potato pea fillling and here it is before baking.
The filling was super simple: 1-1/2 pounds cooked, mashed potatoes, 1/2 cup frozen peas and a teaspoon of your favorite curry. I used a teaspoon of gram masala. Fold it over, brush with a bit of olive oil, sprinkle with some more curry, coarse grain sea salt, slash a few slits in the top and bake in a 450 degree oven on a preheated baking stone for 25 minutes or until golden brown. This recipe also used one of the author's "fancy" techniques of adding 1 cup of hot water to another pan in the oven. This creates a steam that makes for a DELICIOUS crust. Check it out:
I am so impressed with this book; it has done so much for my overall baking success. Today I'm going to finish off the rest of the dough and make some pita bread and perhaps a pizza for dinner. Mangia!

No comments:

Post a Comment