Thursday, August 16, 2012

Quinoa Chickpea Burgers with Za’atar Spice and Creamy Tahini Sauce

The quinoa chickpea burger was quite tasty tucked inside a home made pita bread.

I bought some Za'atar spice at the store just because it looked interesting. It was the Lebanese version consisting of white sesame seed, ground sumac, marjoram and thyme. And it's been sitting there waiting for the right recipe to come along. And here it is! A veggie patty with all my favorite ingredients: quinoa and garbanzo beans! I also happen to love a good tahini sauce too. This particular tahini sauce has a bit of lemon, vinegar, agave, cumin, coriander, shoyu and chives. It's slightly sweet and would make a delicious salad dressing.

The burgers consist of cooked quinoa, pumpkin seed meal, chickpeas, tahini, lemon juice, sun dried tomatoes, za-atar spice, chives, pepper and garlic. It makes a TON of mix (okay, I'm exaggerating) so you might want to consider halving the recipe. When I formed the patties, I used my trusty 1/4 cup ice scoop, flattened onto parchment paper, and spritzed with olive oil. Then I baked at about 400 for about 30 minutes. The recipe calls for pan frying which I just can't bring myself to do. They turned out very nice baking them instead.

For more photos and the recipe, go here. Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment