Wednesday, December 14, 2011

Fresh Cranberry Pumpkin Bread

This is a quick bread and it is totally awesome! Not too sweet and nice and moist. I was going through my cupboards the other day and realized I had accumulated four cans of pumpkin. Pumpkin bread came to mind. So I've been scouring the internet looking for a healthy version of pumpkin bread. So many of them have a cup or more of sugar, loads of oil, and use all white flour. I found this recipe on whatwouldcathyeat and it uses more whole wheat than white, and just 3 tablespoons of oil. Interestingly, it called for 6 tablespoons of orange juice. I had a couple organic valencia oranges in my refrigerator so I juiced one and got exactly 6 tablespoons of juice. While Cathy's original recipe is a whole lot healthier than the majority, I made some minor modifications to suit my taste.

Here is the link to Cathy's original recipe.

And here are the modifications I made:

1/2 cup brown sugar substituted with 1/3 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup sugar substituted with 1/3 cup coconut palm sugar
3/4 cup walnuts substituted with 1/4 cup walnuts

I just wanted to use less sugar. I can't bring myself to use a whole cup of sugar in ANYTHING. I reduced the amount of nuts just because I'm not wild about nuts in my bread. Whichever recipe you follow I know you're going to love this bread. I'm thinking that the next time I make it, I might drizzle it with just a bit of sweet stuff (1 cup powdered sugar mixed with 1-2 TB orange juice).

No comments:

Post a Comment