Saturday, November 19, 2011

Spicy Pinto Bean and Quinoa Chili


I got a hankering for a pot of chili the other night. It really doesn't take all that long to throw together. You could add more veggies of your choice. I found myself wishing I had some zucchini. Next time! I was going to add some Ortega peppers but it would have made it too hot. A word of caution: add half the chili powder, taste and adjust. You want your spiciness "just so."

Spicy Pinto Bean & Quinoa Chili
Ingredients
1 TB olive oil
1/2 onion, chopped
1-2 carrots, chopped
-----
3-4 minced garlic cloves
1/2 bell pepper, chopped, your choice of color
-----
1 TB chili powder*
1 tsp cumin
1/2 tsp smoked paprika
1 tsp dried oregano flakes
1/2 tsp salt (optional)
1/4 tsp black pepper
-----
1 15 oz can diced tomatoes
1 oz can tomato sauce
1 cup vegetable broth
1 15 oz. can of pinto beans, rinsed and drained
1/2 cup frozen corn
1 cup cooked quinoa**

Directions
Saute onions and carrots in a bit of oil until onion is limp and translucent. Add garlic and bell pepper and saute for several minutes. Add spices and cook for a minute. Add some broth to de-glaze the pan. I actually used a bit of wine. Add rest of ingredients and cook for about 10-15 minutes until good and hot.

*I really like Summit Spice Susitna Blend chili powder. If you use it, be warned, it's on the hot side.

**I make quinoa in my rice cooker, cool it and divvy it out into 1/2 cup increments to freeze.

No comments:

Post a Comment