Wednesday, June 30, 2010

Scrumptious Seitan Tacos


I'm a little embarrassed to say I've never cooked (or eaten) seitan. Back in my meat-eating days I enjoyed chicken tacos. I figured I'd make a vegan version with seitan. I bought a 8 ounce package of Westsoy seitan strips instead of making it myself. Many of the recipes for seitan tacos call for black beans - too much protein for me. Instead I used half of package of organic broccoli-carrot slaw. (Next time I'll use the whole package.) I also dialed up the flavor with the addition of some pinot noir that was languishing in the fridge. I was so thrilled with the results I was eating it out of the pan.

Ingredients:

1 tbsp of olive oil
2-3 scallions, chopped
2 cloves of garlic, finely chopped
1/2 fresh jalapeno, diced
1 tbsp of cumin
2 tsp of red chile powder
1 tsp of coriander
salt & pepper to taste
8 ounce package of seitan, chopped a bit
1 15-oz can of diced tomatoes and green chilies, drained; reserve liquid
1/2 10-ounce package of broccoli-carrot slaw
1/2 cup red wine
salt and pepper to taste
-----
taco shells
diced zucchini, tomatoes, avacodo, etc. for garnish
salsa!

Preheat the olive oil in a skillet over medium heat and saute the onions, garlic and jalapeno until limp. Add spices and stir for a minute or so. Add seitan, broccoli slaw, tomatoes & chilies, some of the reserved liquid and wine. Cook down, add more of the reserved liquid if necessary.

This would make excellent filling for burritos, tostadas, or even a wrap. Serve with Mexi-Tatie Nuggets.

No comments:

Post a Comment