Sunday, September 15, 2013

Chewy Chocolate Chip Cookies, Wheat Free, Oil Free

 chewy chocolate chip cookes, vegan, fat free, wheat free

Oh, my. I've been working on the recipe for Barley and Oat Mini-Chocolate Chip Cookies, Fat Free. I tried subbing out the banana with applesauce and used maple syrup. It made a fairly soft, fragile  and sweeter cookie. It was not an improvement. Today I used some blanched almond flour and stuck with the brown rice syrup. Hot diggity dog was it good! Still soft but nice and chewy. I am so inspired by this new recipe I am going to start making my own almond milk and saving the pulp. Then I will dehydrate it and use it for baking.

Ingredients
1/4 cup barley flour
1/4 cup oat flour
1/2 cup blanched almond flour
1/4 tsp aluminum-free baking powder
1/4 tsp baking soda
1/8 tsp salt
-----
3 TB mashed banana
1/3 cup brown rice syrup
1/2 tsp vanilla extract
----
1/3 cup chocolate chips

chewy chocolate chip cookes, vegan, fat free, wheat free
Directions
Preheat oven to 350 degrees and prepare baking sheet. I like to use a Silpat or parchment paper instead of greasing sheet. Mix dry ingredients in medium sized bowl. Mix wet ingredients in small bowl. Add wet to dry and mix well, add chips. Scoop 1 tablespoon size drollops onto sheet, flatten a bit and bake for about 12 minutes until barely browned on edges. Let cool for a couple minutes and then carefully transfer to wire rack.

Substitutions and Tips and Tricks
If you don't have any barley or oat flour, buzz whole barley or oatmeal up in your blender or coffee grinder. Or you could always buy a small bag of Bob's Red Mill. Most natural foods stores have these flours in the bulk bins too. Bob's also carries almond flour but you could also make your own!

2 comments:

  1. these sound delish! i am on the look out for oil free recipes. i will have to try these!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have to warn you. They are VERY soft, even to the point of sticking together. I think I need to fuss a bit with the recipe. Still very tasty though!

      Delete