Monday, October 29, 2012

Homemade Pumpkin Puree

Fresh organic pumpkin.

It had to happen. Online it's pumpkin this, pumpkin that, everyone is going pumpkin crazy including myself. I'm making pumpkin muffins, pumpkin loaves, pumpkin lattes and now pumpkin puree.

It's pretty darn easy to make your own pumpkin puree. Then you are guaranteed it's fresh, if organic it will be pesticide free, and you won't need to worry about BPA from the can.

Directions for making your own pumpkin puree
Preheat oven to 350 degrees and line baking sheet with parchment paper. Wash your pumpkin(s). Slice off the top including the stem. Invert onto cutting board, flat side down. Slice in half. Scoop out seeds; a serving spoon works great. What you do with the seeds is your business. Place cut side down on baking sheet and bake for about 1 hour until easily pierced with fork.

This was baked for 60 minutes in 350 degree oven. See how nice and soft it is?

Let cool. To skin, just pull it off. It comes off very easy. Place the pulp in food processor to smooth it all out. You could probably use a blender. My puree was a bit watery so I drained it in cheesecloth overnight.

Here is my puree before letting it drain a bit.

The organic pie pumpkin I bought was just over 2 pounds. After baking I ended up with just under 2 cups. Then I decided I wanted to thicken it up. After I drained it, I ended up with just under 1 cup. I would definitely recommend letting it drain a bit. You don't want to ruin a recipe with puree that is too watery. Next time I'll bake 2 or 3 pumpkins.

This is what I made with my homemade pumpkin puree. Watch for the recipe in an upcoming post.

Chocolate Pumpkin Loaf studded with chocolate chips; recipe Forks Over Knives cookbook.




2 comments:

  1. I don't know why I keep buying cans of pumpkin puree when it looks so easy to make your own. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Probably the same reason I do – it's a whole lot quicker! ;-O

      Delete