Sunday, October 30, 2011

Homemade Tahini

I used up the rest of my tahini last week and didn't put it on my grocery list because I had another jar in the cupboard. Or so I thought. As I was gathering up the ingredients to make my weekly batch of hummus on Sunday, I discovered that I did NOT have any tahini in the cupboard. No worries, I have a Vitamix and have always wanted to use it to make tahini. I went to the Vitamix Recipe Book and it listed 5 cups of sesame seeds to make tahini. When I went to the freezer to get out the sesame seeds, I discovered I had about 3 tablespoons sesame seeds. Okay, I'll just use my "personal blender" since it's such a small quantity of seeds. The blender has a really small container for grinding seeds and it worked perfectly. I was so happy and as I tasted the tahini butter I realized the seeds had gone rancid! Oh well. I ended up using a tablespoon of cashew butter that I had in the refrigerator instead of the tahini. And I'm going shopping tonight!

Homemade Tahini
Ingredients
raw sesame seeds
salt, to taste

Directions
Place in size appropriate container and blend until it turns to butter. Add a bit of salt, blend, taste and adjust if necessary. Refrigerate.

1 comment:

  1. I didn't realize tahini was so easy to make, I'll have to remember to give it a try when I run out. :-)

    ReplyDelete