Sunday, February 20, 2011

Chocolate Chip Muesli Cookies

A couple of my co-workers have been raving about Bob's Red Mill Muesli cereal. Of course, I had to try it out. In case you don't know, Bob's muesli consists of whole grain rolled oats, wheat, rye, triticale and barley, dates, raisins, sunflower seeds, almonds and walnuts. While I adore steel-cut oats for breakfast I found I didn't care for the nuts in my hot cereal. There was a recipe for chocolate chip muesli cookies on the bag – sounds more my style. I have replaced the egg with a flax seed mixture and fussed a bit with the recipe. The little gems are lightly sweet and would be perfect to take along if you go for a hike. Makes about 36 cookies.

Ingredients
2 TB ground flax meal
3 TB water
-----
3/4 cup white whole wheat flour
1 TB tapioca flour or starch
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
-----
2 TB walnut or canola oil
1/2 cup apple sauce
3/4 cup brown sugar
1 tsp vanilla extract
-----
1 cup Bob's Red Mill Muesli cereal
3/4 cup vegan chocolate chips

Directions
Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Mix flax seed and water in small bowl and set aside. Mix flour, tapioca, baking soda and salt in another small bowl and set aside.

In medium bowl, mix oil, apple sauce, brown sugar and vanilla together. Add flax seed mixture and beat well. Add flour mixture, stir to mix. Add muesli and chocolate chips.

Spoon on to parchment covered cookie sheet. I like to use a tablespoon size ice cream style scoop. Lightly flatten each cookie and bake for about 10 minutes until lightly browned. Cool on rack.

No comments:

Post a Comment