Saturday, October 16, 2010

Vegan Cookie Exchange

The local meet up group for vegans had a cookie exchange last week. I brought two different cookies, both from Vegan Cookies Invade Your Cookie Jar: 100 Dairy-Free Recipes for Everyone's Favorite Treats. If you only have one vegan cookie bookbook, this is the one to get. All of the recipes I've made have turned very well.

One of the recipes was for Mexican Chocolate Snickerdoodles. A video with Isa and the recipe is posted on http://www.theppk.com/blog/2009/09/16/mexican-hot-chocolate-snickerdoodles/. This was the recipe that convinced me to buy the cookbook. The only thing you might think about changing in the recipe is the amount of cayenne. It called for 1/2 teaspoon which may be too much for some people or kids. If you're "hot spicy" adverse, cut it to 1/4 teaspoon. If baked the full 12 minutes, these cookies are crispy. If you prefer a softer cookie, bake the shorter time.

Linzertorte Thumbprint Cookies
My other contribution to the cookie excahnge was Linzertorte Thumbprint Cookies. These were awesome little fat bombs! The ingredients called for hazelnut butter which I've never seen, let alone keep in my cupboard, so I substituted cashew butter. In my quest for perfection, next time I'll make the cookies flatter and the indent deeper so I can put more jam in cookie.

Both of these cookies will be on my Christmas cookie bake list this year.

No comments:

Post a Comment