Sunday, April 28, 2013

Damn Good Chocolate Stout Cupcakes with Kassik's Chocolate Cherry Stout Beer


I have never been into stout beer even though I am a huge fan of craft beers. I wanted to make some chocolate stout cupcakes and I had some Kassik's Chocolate Cherry Stout in my garage. I don't have a clue as to when or where I bought it. I do that sometimes, go on a beer buying binge, and then it sits for weeks, months, sometimes years. The sad thing is after I tasted it I went to my local store to buy some more and they had none.

This Kassik's beer was something special though. Very dark with a delectable taste. Smooth. Mysterious. The recipe only used 1/4 cup of beer and I happily drank the rest. It was wonderful in this recipe.

The beauty of these cupcakes (beside the beer) is you don't have to frost it. It has a crumble on the top. It is quite delicious and not too sweet. You could probably halve the topping recipe and have enough. The recipe originates with the book Vegan Cupcakes Take Over the World.

Topping
1/4 C all purpose flour
1/4 C cocoa powder
1/4 cup coconut sugar
2 TB canola oil

Cupcakes
3/4 C soy milk
1 tsp apple cider vinegar
-----
1/2 C plus 2 TB all purpose flour
1/2 C whole wheat pastry flour
1/3 C cocoa
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp salt
-----
1/4 C stout beer
3/4 C coconut sugarsugar
1/3 C canola oil
1-1/2 tsp vanilla extract

Directions
Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Place liners in muffin tin. To make topping, mix dry ingredients until well blended. Add oil and mix until it's clumped in pea size balls. Set aside.

In large bowl, add milk and vinegar. Mix and set aside. In medium size bowl, add flour, cocoa, baking soda, baking powder and salt. Mix well. Add the rest of wet ingredients including sugar into the large bowl and mix until frothy. Add dry ingredients in two passes. Mix for a couple of minutes with a hand mixer. Scoop batter into liners. Sprinkle topping on top of each cupcake, taking care that it doesn't sink into batter. Bake for about 22 minutes until toothpick comes out clean. Let cool on rack.








No comments:

Post a Comment