Monday, May 16, 2011

Strawberry Ice Cream

I scream, you scream, we all scream for ice cream!

Ice cream – I always feel better about eating the stuff if I'm the one making it. It's that old control issue, you make it, you know what's going in to the ingredients. I bought a 2-pint package of organic strawberries at the grocery store last week, and after a smoothie there was still half a package left and I needed to use them before they went bad. This recipe really does require a VitaMix blender. If you have a powerful blender you could probably use it and this would be just as delicious. It's just that the VitaMix really mixes it all up smooth. Even the strawberry seeds were totally mixed in.

This recipe is slightly tart, but oh so creamy. It does get hard after it's been frozen but 10-15 seconds in the nuker will take care of that – or you can leave it on the counter for 10-20 minutes. I really liked the consistency of this ice cream. Makes about 1/2 quart, feel free to double it.

Ingredients
12 ounces fresh organic strawberries, cleaned and hulled
3/4 cups raw cashew pieces
1/2 cup maple syrup
1 tsp vanilla extract

Directions
Put in your VitaMix and blend until nice and smooth. It should be on the thick side. Scoop or pour into a container and let set for 2-24 hours before processing in your ice cream maker.

1 comment:

  1. I made this, and it was great! Even my husband liked it.

    ReplyDelete