Sunday, May 2, 2010

Chocolate Chip Cookies - vegan style!

I really get off on making cookies. It's a quick treat that always pleases no matter how weird the recipe. And believe me, there are a few strange recipes out there. In accordance with my cook book addiction, a new addition for my collection is "More great good dairy-free desserts - Naturally." It's by Fran Costigan. I made my first recipe today for Chocolate Chip Cookies. These are actually quite adult, thin, and slightly gooey from the chocolate chips, and ever so tasty! It didn't make very many cookies and I was surprised at how little flour was used. The only substitutions I made was white whole wheat flour instead of whole wheat pastry flour, walnut oil instead of canola, and chocolate extract instead of almond extract. I just don't care for almond extract. But if you're not quite the chocolate hound I am, go for the almond extract!

Chocolate Chip Cookies
Ingredients
7 tablespoons light natural cane sugar plus a bit extra for rolling dough in
1/4 cup white whole wheat flour
1/4 cup unbleached white flour
2 tablespoons arrowroot
1 tablespoon dark whole cane sugar
1 tablespoon unsweetened cocoa
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon baking powder
1/8 teaspoon baking soda
----------
1 tablespoon plus 2 teaspoons walnut oil
2 tablespoons maple syrup
1 tablespoon soymilk
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1/2 teaspoon chocolate extract
----------
1/3 heaping cup of dark chocolate chips

Directions
Preheat oven to 350 degrees and line 2 cookie sheets with parchment paper.

In large bowl, sift all the dry ingredients together and whisk to mix. In small bowl, mix together wet ingredients. Add wet ingredients to dry and mix until smooth. Mix in chocolate chips (use your hands, it's easier).

Sprinkle a piece of plastic wrap with 1 tablespoon or so of sugar and place dough on top, form into log, using plastic to help form the log. Pinch off a small 1-inch piece, roll in sugar in desired, and flatten a bit on cookie sheet.
Bake for 7 to 8 minutes. My cookies were on the small side so 7 minutes worked out fine.

No comments:

Post a Comment